Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I had a parking charge notice from a private company in

I had a parking charge notice from a private company in Southend last year. This is parking in a place where we attend a customer of ours and they have parking in this area allocated so we had a legitimate reason for parking there. As it was a private company rather than the council I ignored it as this is what the Martin Lewis website said what to do. It then got passed onto a debt collection agency and now a solicitors. Having received a solicitors letter I am now worried. What should I do?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. What does the letter say? Does it say they will issue court proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it asks me to pay within 14 days otherwise they will advise their client to pass it on to their litigation department. Also, although the registered owner of the car, I was not the driver on the day in question
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. You are still responsible for any civil debts the car raises, as you are the owner of the vehicle. It sounds to me like this is a threat to get you to pay, especially if they have already tried a bailiff. I would write back to the solicitor and say that you did not park in contravention of any parking rules (private or otherwise) and had the land occupier's permission to use the space. Say you dent any liability for the debt and consider their attempts to extort money from you as harassment which is a criminal offence under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. Say if they continue to chase you, you will hold them responsible for any costs you incur in obtaining legal advice to defend the proceedings.

How much are they claiming you owe currently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;286
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the original parking fine was £60
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The issue is that the costs they can claim are limited in the small claims court. I would write to them as I have suggested. If they sue you, you will have to defend the proceedings on the basis that you were parked with the property occupiers permission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex, fingers crossed
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I wish you the best of luck. I would be most grateful if you would rate my answer when you have a moment? Kind regards AJ