How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Harris Your Own Question

Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2648
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I was divorced in 2009. In 2010 my ex wife died. Our decree

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam,
I was divorced in 2009. In 2010 my ex wife died. Our decree absolute was granted after Financial Dispute Resolution and one of the orders was:
The property Casa Felicidade in Tavira Portugal be sold forth and the net proceeds of sale, after discharge of the costs of sale, mortgage held by Barclays International Lisbon,and Capital Gains Tax (if any) be distributed as to: (i) The first £40,000 to the Respondent (My Ex Wife) (ii) The balance to the Petitioner. This order for sale be revoked upon the event of earlier payment of the sum of £40,000 by the Petitioner to the Respondent.
In 2011 we tried to put the property up for sale but due to unregistered modifications to the building it could not be registered at the Local Government. It was also found that there was some corruption in the Local Government and therefore The Country's Main Government ordered a suspension of all old applications, and that suspension is still ongoing. In good faith I was paying my son (My ex wife's executor of her estate) £350 per month for a year until I became unemployed.
My question: If I put the house up for sale at the going rate and it does not sell for some time due to the current financial environment, have I fulfilled my obligation and do not have to pay anything in the meantime?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Were there any other terms in the order that related to this property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed it exactly as it was written in the agreement
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. You have two options - either to sell the property and provide £40,000 to her estate or provide £40,000 to her estate, thereby revoking the order for sale.

You should be aware that her estate, if necessary, could proceed to enforce the order if they think that the price that you are attempting to sell it for is preventing a sale - thereby seeking a possible lower sale of the property to obtain your ex-wife's share of the proceeds as ordered.

To prevent them doing this you should continue to endeavour to sell the property, or settle the £40,000.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Therefore if I get it valued and ask that price, could they then say that it was the price that was inhibiting the sale?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No - if you are following the advice from the agent then it will be difficult for them to argue that the sale price should be lower

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions