12826847

I rent a large garage from a local farmer. A friend asked me

Customer Question

I rent a large garage from a local farmer. A friend asked me if he could store some house hold items there in return for a little help with the rent, to which I agreed. Since then he has been banned from the farm by the farmer for repeatedly driving over his garden. I have tried to contact him several times since then, but he has lost his job and none of our mutual friends know of his whereabouts. His phone is still active but he doesn't answer calls or texts. I have e mailed him to no avail. I don't care that he owes me money but I can't access my garage as his things are piled high in the doorway. I also want to hand back the garage as work commitments means I no longer have the time to pursue my hobby's. So my question is can I sell or otherwise dispose of his property? This has been going on for 7 months. Regards Simon
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What is the value of his goods roughly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of it is worthless, but there is a television and a few other bits. I would hazard a guess at perhaps £1000 all in.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

OK

When is the last time you tried to make contact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I work away. I last tried to contact him over the weekend to no avail. There are a few items of value such as a television and a drum kit. But I am holding on to a place I no longer wish to rent because I am storing kit for a guy I can't contact who owes me money. Dilemma.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

This is an issue of the law of abandonment. It is quite a complicated legal principle and basically there is no set definition.

My concern about destruction or removal of these items now is that you don\t seem to have warned him of your intention. that is not the end of the world but it must be done at some point.

I would try to make contact again in either text or email form making clear that you will dispose of the goods if he does not make contact within fourteen days.

Then if there is no contact you are protected.