29905560

After how many years can I hand back my timeshare. I have

Customer Question

after how many years can I hand back my timeshare. I have had mine twenty one years or am I stuck with it.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

What does the agreement you signed say about the duration of the contract?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Ben, I think it was in perpetuity, but I was told by someone that they stopped perpetuity ,,changed the law ,when they were cleaning up the Timeshare scandle a few years back..Ijust wanted to know if this was true
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you received my reply
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

Perpetuity contracts in the timeshare business can be legal and they have not specifically been outlawed yet. There was a case last year in Spain which made a perpetuity timeshare contract unlawful but that is because it had breached local Spanish laws which said that timeshare contracts in Spain purchased after 7 January 1999 cannot last for more than 50 years. So the illegality of that perpetuity contract was directly linked to it having breached local Spanish laws.

Unfortunately that does not mean that all perpetuity timeshare contracts are unlawful and can be terminated early. They can still be legally binding unless you can find a specific local law which they have breached.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have for disposing of the timeshare, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that the news will not necessarily be good. Disposing of a timeshare or holiday club membership is an extremely difficult process these days, mainly because supply is much greater than demand. The timeshare industry had a huge boom some years ago and everyone was keen on getting involved, only to discover years later that they had signed up to something they rarely used or that they could no longer keep up with the fees.

As timeshare agreements rarely allow for an easy termination, the following are the only realistic options for trying to dispose of a timeshare:

1. Sell to another consumer – this is rather difficult, because as mentioned supply is much greater than demand. I should also mention that there are many scams offering to dispose of a share and you must be very careful not to get involved with anyone that asks you for any fees in advance, whatever reasons they use.

2. Return the ownership to the resort - some resorts offer an exit programme for their members, subject to certain conditions, fees, etc. However, as this varies from one resort to another, you need to check with your own resort to see if this is an option.

3. Walk away from the membership – simply stopping payments and ignoring any further requests for payment. However, this is somewhat risky because some resorts have taken non-paying members to court. Still, not every resort does that so it is worth doing further research to see if yours is a resort that has taken legal action in the past.

4. Claiming misrepresentation or breach of contract - this could make the original contract unenforceable and it could be cancelled now without further liability. For example, if you were promised certain things that have not materialised or the resort has acted in breach of the terms of the agreement you could try and cancel the contract by arguing it is now void due to this. However, that will not always succeed, especially if the alleged breach is not serious enough and you are relying on trivial reasons.

So as you can see there are only a handful of options open to you. There are thousands of other people just like you and unless they find a breakthrough, the majority just continue with their memberships and write this off as a bad decision. I wish I could give you a guaranteed way of exiting, however I m afraid that simply does not exist and this is evidenced by the large number of other 'victims' of the timeshare industry who are struggling in the same position as you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben for your full and comprehensive reply to my Timeshare question, Thank you again.It will help me a lot.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome all the best