Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My daughter lives in a semi detached house, with an average

My daughter lives in a semi detached house, with an average sized garden, her neighbours are going to put a skateboard ramp in the garden. Not only will this be noisy, but it will mean that their 14 year old son will, when on the top of the ramp be looking over their garden. They live in a quiet residential area, and re terrified of the thought of this ramp appearing. Can you offer any advice or suggest what action they should take?
Jacqueline Swann
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****

The fact that it will enable the son to look in the garden is not a factor as we have no right in respects of not being overlooked or invasion of privacy.

The reason is that we are a relatively small island and such a right is not feasible.

They can, however, argue that it will present a nuisance not just to them but other neighbours.

I would not recommend that they go beyond a letter threatening action for nuisance, because I think a court would take the view that it is not much different to a teenager playing music, a basketball hoop , playing football all the time or numerous other noisy teenage activities.

As such, I am afraid there are no magic solutions beyond the hope that a stroppy letter from a solicitor in respect of "nuisance" will put them off.

If there are any further points please reply and I will be happy to response.

Best wishes

Michael