How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34581
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex wife wants to move our children (ages 6 and 8) to a

Resolved Question:

My ex wife wants to move our children (ages 6 and 8) to a Steiner school from their state primary. She has also wanted to home school in the past. I am against homeschooling and am worried that Steiner could be a back door to homeschooling. I would like an agreement whereby if their attendance drops then they need to return to state school. Also that we meet at the end of each term to discuss how the girls are doing. She agrees to this. I asked her to get a solicitor to write it up as I want her to realise I take this seriously. She says that I need to use my own solicitor to petition for this. I see no reason to pay for a solicitor if not needed and just want something on headed paper. Is this right? Do I have to petition or can she get a solicitor to wrk something up and give to me as a statement of intent? Thanks you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If you are against the change in schooling then you are entitled to pursue a prohibited steps order application under a Form C100 and a £215 court fee to your local family court to attempt to stop this.

In relation to a potential agreement, in my opinion such an agreement will be difficult to enforce in relation to children matters and you would be at a disadvantage given that the children would have already changed schooling and it would be likely disruptive and difficult to transfer and enrol them back to normal schooling.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.

A Steiner school is unlikely to be the backdoor to home schooling and if she does wish to withdraw the chidlren from the Steiner school then you can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent it so that enforcement is not an issue.

The most effective (and cheapest) way forward is actually to attend Family mediation together

to work out the details of the agreement which can then be sent to the Court as a Consent order

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34581
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you