31090051

My son was banned from owning a dog years but the sentence

My son was banned from owning a dog for 10 years but the sentence was very harsh and we want to appeal. How do we do that? Also, if I want to own a dog and was keeping it in the same house as my son, are we breaking this sentence? My son took our husky on a long run/walk and the weather turned very hot (2 years ago) and the dog collapsed in the middle of a busy town and the police got involved and they took our dog away and we never got him back. Due to the involvement of the public and them thinking the worse, my son ended up arrested and charged with animal cruelty. He and the dog were inseparable for 8 years and he loves animals. It's all be been very distressing. I'd happily pay money to a solicitor if we could have this overturned. Thanks.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

When was your son convicted and was this after a trial or did he plead guilty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did plead guilty at his Solicitor's recommendations. He was given community service and a 10 year ban from owning a dog. The incident happened in July 2014 and he was in court several times but they were always getting statements from the vet and others. He was convicted in July 2015.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You have to know the precise terms of the order because a person can apply to the court to have a disqualification order terminated or varied, such as a reduction in the length of time that the disqualification will be enforced. However, the court is able to specify a minimum length of time which must pass before the person who is the subject of a disqualification order may make such an application to the court. You have to know when the earliest date is that an application to vary can be made. That would not stop you owning a dog even if your son was living with you although it would be better that he wasn't seen out with the dog on his own. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - how can I find out the exact terms of the order? This is helpful though - thank you. I will leave a rating.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can ask the sheriff clerk at the court.