propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I have a tiny company, and re a consultant. In the signed

I have a tiny company, and hire a consultant. In the signed consultancy agreement I have agreed to pay him 5 days after submittal of his invoice. This is impractical. I wish to make an amendment to the contract to change this to mid or end of month payment, whichever is closest to the date he submits his invoice. Can I do this?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judi

Thanks for your question. In a nutshell, an employer who imposes a contractual change without the employee’s express agreement will be in breach of contract and the original terms of the contract will remain in place. You will need the express agreement of the consultant to do this.

I hope this clarifies the position.

Paul

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any contract can be amended. I understand I am presently in breach of contract by delaying payment 5 days. What Iwant is a remedy to amend the contract to remove the pressure on me to pay within 5 days of receiving his invoice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You refer to a contractural change "without the employee's express agreement...". This is quite a separate contractural arrangement to an employment contract. My understanding is my obligations to a Consultant are markedly different to if he were an employee.

it is still a contract. you cannot unilaterally amend a contract. the amendments will not be valid.