Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Im single parent can I share flat with my cousin and still

Hi,Im single parent can I share flat with my cousin and still aply for childd tax credit and lone parent element
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, please would you elaborate more on what issue you require assistance with so that I can help you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how can i proof HMRC i share flat with cousin
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if Im single parent can i share flat with cousin,brother or somebody from my family
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how long i will wait for yous answer
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. For tax credit purposes you will be considered a single person unless you are in a relationship with your cousin or anybody else that lives in the property. You will therefore be able to share the flat with members of your family and this should not impact your tax credits.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I note you have left a negative rating. Please could you confirm what you are not happy about so that I can provide you with all the information you require to resolve this matter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thought I would get a more comprehensive answer and got only cursory information
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for confirming, however, I do not see what else there is to tell you given that you are considered a "single person" for tax credit purposes unless you are in a relationship.

Section 3(3) Tax Credit Act 2002 states that a claim for a tax credit may be made:

(a) jointly by the members of a couple both of whom are aged at least sixteen and are in the United Kingdom, or

(b) by a person who is aged at least sixteen and is in the United Kingdom but is not entitled to make a claim under paragraph (a) (jointly with another).

So there are two types of tax credits claims – Joint and Single.

The Act then goes on, in Section 3(5), to explain what a ‘couple’ is:

(a) a man and woman who are married to each other and are neither –

i. separated under a court order, nor

ii. separated in circumstances in which the separation is likely to be permanent,

(b) a man and woman who are not married to each other but are living together as husband and wife,

(c) two people of the same sex who are civil partners of each other and are neither –

i. separated under a court order, nor

ii. separated in circumstances in which the separation is likely to be permanent, or

(d) two people of the same sex who are not civil partners of each other but are living together as if they were civil partners.

I hope this provides further insight into your question and would request you consider providing a positive rating if you found this helpful.

Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters