75100385

Just wondering how my conviction may affect my ability to

Hi just wondering how my conviction may affect my ability to travel to the US. The crime I was convicted of was the new "revenge porn" law. The visa to the US states crimes of Moral Turpitude and lists all crimes involved. The above conviction isnt a federal crime in the United states and isnt on this list, does that mean I can afford to click "no" when I plan on travelling to the states with this visa?
Many thanks..
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

When was the conviction and what sentence did you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a 12 week jail sentence suspended for 18 months which I am still serving. I am finishing a PhD and have not gone to prison obviously and extremely unlikely I will be in trouble again. So A can I risk clicking no on that visa form as the conviction isn't a US federal crime, B if not are there ways around it or C how long till I don't have to declare it?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Technically you have been sentenced to prison, even if you did not go, so dont be under any illusion, you have a prison sentence.

The question you are asked is: Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an oence or crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority; or ever violated any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs?

The answer is no. However I would not even declare to the US Officials when you land about this, there is no information sharing between the UK and USA when it comes to convictions, so the US wont know unless YOU tell them.

But you can tick no because of the question anyway.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - I have taken time and looked at this. There is no conviction sharing between the UK and USA, so unless you tell them they wont know.

Further I have looked at moral turpitude and this does not come into the description in the USA.

But to be clear you have been sentenced to custody, even if it has been suspended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is amazing thank you ☺️
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex