75100385

We have just concluded a three year residential tenancy, we

Hi, we have just concluded a three year residential tenancy, we noted all damage/wear on the initial inventory - the previous occupier had dogs and there was considerable marks to the carpet etc - and returned to the agent promptly upon moving in. Shortly after the beginning of the tenancy it was apparent that the roof leaked, we reported to the agent several times and the landlord sent a builder to quote for the work. the work was never carried out and the roof leaked for the duration of the tenancy. We had six monthly inspections whereby this was noted. when returning the keys the agent was present at the property, and agreed the condition was consistent with the original inventory annotated at the time. We have just requested the return of the bond, after 10 working days, and have been told that the landlord disputes the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy, claiming excellent condition. We believe that the property was in fact in better condition when we left. Please can you suggest our next steps to recover our deposit and if we have any rights in relation to the landlords apathy in not repairing the roof. Your time is much appreciated, Terry.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello Terry my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is the deposit please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I think the deposit is only £750
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

ALex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, would this be addressed to the agent or landlord, also what do you suggest regarding living with the leaking roof? Just as a note to support the argument or try to claim something as part of the losses? The leak was in the centre of the living room. Thanks, Terry
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Landlord. The leak helps you certainly. Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex