29905560

I have been to a meeting with Monster Rewards to get out of

I have been to a meeting with Monster Rewards to get out of a timeshare/ownership in the USA. I have a contract with Timeshare. lawyer and paid £1800 up front and they require a balance of £4480 by 26/6/2016 do you think I should continue with this transaction
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Is the company based in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just paid £38 pounds do I need to pay another £38
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. No you do not need to pay again and thank you for your request for a phone call. I am unable to talk at the moment but if you provide the information requested, I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message after you have provided the information as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company is Monster Rewards SL registered office Tenerife Canary Islands company number B-76669753
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Due to widespread fraud in the timeshare industry, European lawmakers introduced certain regulations which apply across all European countries. The main piece of legislation is the European Timeshare Directive.

The law provides for an automatic 14-day cooling off period from the date the contract is signed and makes it illegal for businesses acting as timeshare or holiday club sellers or resellers to ask for any payment from the consumer within that period. There is also the right to cancel the contract for any reason within that period without incurring any penalties.

Therefore, if you have been offered the chance to dispose of your timeshare and have been asked to pay any money in advance of or during this cooling off period, then that is an unlawful request and suggests that this is most likely a scam. The request is often disguised as a requirement to pay certain fees, such as legal fees, taxes, insurance, deposit, etc. However, none of these would be valid reasons and you should not be required to pay anything within this initial 14 day cooling off period.

If you have already paid something, then you must contact them immediately and ask for your money back, citing the above legislation and reminding them of your rights and their obligations. So I would certainly not recommend that you proceed and pay all the rest of the money in advance – you should only have to pay on successful disposal of a timeshare.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you