How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2722
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My partner (we are unmarried, but live and have property

Resolved Question:

My partner (we are unmarried, but live and have property together) has a charge on his mothers property of £56,000 thousand which was index linked. What happens to this if my partner dies with no will?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-What is the nature of the charge?

-Does he have any children or grandchildren?

-Are his parents still alive?

-Does he have any brothers or sisters, or nieces or nephews?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has 1 child. Both parents are alive but divorced from each other, mother is not remarried. Yes sister, brother and 2 nieces and nephew.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

What is the nature of the charge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I am at work and cannot take personal calls.
They tried to take a property from him and took him to court, they lost and he won the case! It was for the court costs, they didnt have any money so a charge was made against the house. She lives there alone with no dependents.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In that case, if he dies without a will his child will inherit his entire estate, including the charge.

If you were cohabiting for two years immeditately prior to his death and were financial dependant on him, then you may be entitled apply to court for assistance from his estate.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you