Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I used a solicitor to represent me and my partner in a case

Customer Question

Hi, I used a solicitor to represent me and my partner in a case to vary a residency order. In the court I used her appointed barrister. The judge was unwilling to give the case any gravity because the solicitor failed to notify the judge about key events until the statement on the day and incorrectly filed paperwork. I have just been given an outstanding bill of £4500. What can I do about it? Are solicitors regulated? Are they overlooked by senior partners in the firm. This was a company called Rudlings and Wakelam
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales and where was the case heard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

England, Cambridge family court. Under the judge from Peterborough

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. All solicitors are regulated by the SRA. Furthermore, all firms have their own complaint procedures which you should have been informed about when instructing them. If you do not have this you can request it from them and they must provide it. You must initially follow their internal complaints procedure, and if you are not satisfied with the outcome you can refer it to the Legal Ombudsman for an independent decision.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does it matter that the case was finished in court 6 months ago. And they have just send me a bill for the balance. We asked how much the legal costs were likely to be. They said 2500-3000 but charged us £9500.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No, it does not matter that the case ended six months ago as you have only just received their bill which you can consider and raise any points of dispute directly with them. Here is further guidance from the Legal Ombudsman: http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/downloads/documents/publications/How-To-Complain-To-Your-Lawyer.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My solicitor, only handed documents to the barrister 1 day before the court and she hads no time to prepare and I can see this from her statement. They have threatened to pass the file to the credit company if we don't pay immediaitelely. But hey have hit us for an unexpected further £2700. If I lodge a complaint, can they still pass it to the credit file or do they have to investigate first beore they do.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

They have to provide you a detailed bill and their costs must be reasonable. They cannot pass it on to a debt collection company if you are contesting the bill. If you cannot agree the bill then it can be submitted to court for assessment - please see further information here: http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-public/paying-for-legal-services/