12826847

I am in a relationship with someone who had had a story of

Customer Question

I am in a relationship with someone who had had a history of being the victim of domestic abuse. Before we continue our relationship, she would like to carry out a clare's law disclosure check. I have had a sexual offence conviction in 2004, I have had no convictions since then and never had any violent criminal convictions. Will my sexual offence conviction show up in the clare's disclosure report?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it probably will.

Run for the hills. Never get involved in a situation like this. It isn't your fault that she has a history of making allegations of abuse. I don't know why she believes that you should change your behaviour because she has a history of accusing people of abuse whether those are truthful or not.

I do realise this isn't the answer you wanted but this is a completely unreasonable request on her part and you need to protect yourself. She could just deal with her issues rather than making them your problem.

You might not be ready to hear this yet and if so then I apologise but you are the important person here not her.

Can I clarify anything for you?]

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. If the Clare's Law disclosure is designed to provide people with information about someone's previous domestic violence history, why would the results include a sexual offence conviction?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Because the received wisdom will be that a sexual offence creates danger. I know this is a nonsense but that will be their view. You may be lucky but you may not and why should you take the risk? I never access Claire's law and most women do not.

Just move on and find yourself a normal girlfriend who doesn't summons up the police to rows or place herself at risk.

Don't let her make you responsible for her issues. You are not to blame.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

In truth, I would be telling you to run for the hills even if she wasn't seeking to use Claire's law.

Never get involved with a person with history of making allegations of abuse.