13262538

Can I adopt my stepson who is 22 years of age. I have been

Can I adopt my stepson who is 22 years of age. I have been married to his mother for 18 years and have brought him up in Hong Kong as well as our own son who is a British Citizen. However my step-son is a citizen of Hong Kong, as is his Mother. His Mothers is the holder of a dependent visa and is resident with me in UK. Now I have retired and resettled in the UK we want my step-son to be here with us as a UK citizen. He spent all his secondary schooling in UK boarding school. Unfortunately as we intended to remain in HK and all allowances were granted to him while he was a minor we didn't get round to a legal adoption as it was not thought necessary. He is now having tremendous difficulty with UK Borders. We understand that it is possible to legal adopt a child who is over 18 years of age in special circumstances. Can you help.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I am sorry but you have been misinformed. It is only posisble for an Adoption Order to be made where the child is over 18 IF the applictaion was made before the child's 18th birthday.

I am sorry to give bad news.

Please ask if you need further details