13262538

Is a child entitled to legal aid in respect of an education

Is a child entitled to legal aid in respect of an education issue ? Admission to high school in their catchment area, form not received by parents so unable to return . School contacted parents day after closing date for admissions therefore parents unable to register child. Surely this is a flaw in the system and failure on behalf of the child.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How often did the parents request the forms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They never requested the forms, they didn't know you had to register a child for a high school in the catchment area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The forms were sent home with the child according to the school. The child did not bring any letter or form appertaining to this home.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What nationality are the parents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

So they did have to apply for a school place for Primary school?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only had to put the child's name down for nursery and automatically went to primary school from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they didn't have to apply for primary school, not sure when this was introduced when you are in the catchment area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what year they had to apply for primary school?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

It has been over six years - hence my query

The deadline is well advertised in the media - and often the subject of heated discussion between parents at the school gate.

It will also have been highlighted on the school website.

I am afraid that this is not a matter for which Legal Aid is available and it is a matter for the Parents to appeal - not the child.

I am sorry - I know this is not the answer that you are hoping for - but the processes you are already pursuing are the only way forward.

Please ask if you need further details