12826847

I purchased a carpet from a company last year after just

Customer Question

I purchased a carpet from a company last year after just 10weeks it started to go bald in places. The Fitter came back after many phone calls to say that it was wear and tear being a commercial business that it was expected. (He had told me at £25.99 per square metre that it would last 10 yrs) It was not his fault as a fitter-it was fitted correctly and that it was not a manufacture issue. He repaired the stretch of carpet and again now 1 year in the carpet has gone bald in the same spot and 3 other places on the different stairs. An independent carpet fitter has just came out to price me up to replace the whole building due to the damage and has informed me that it does not have underlay in the places it should have and it is not fitted to British standards on the stairs. It has pieces folded over that are a safety hazard and the gripper rods are in the wrong places so they are not doing their job hence why the carpet is sagging. I have contacted citizens advice and they are just sending me around in circles saying send him letters, I have been to the business who have washed their hands of the problem and sent letters in the past. He had over £8,000 out of me when he did the whole building of which all of my ensuites had to be replaced due to poor fitting and the bedrooms also do not look great. This man needs to stop trading and what's more he needs to admit that what he has done with my carpet is his fault and his alone-and subsequently repay me some if not all of the cost of it. The independent has also said that it is not the £25 per sq metre carpet that he boasts also-it is a much cheaper carpet. What do I do to cut through all this rubbish that citizens advice are asking me to do as it is just wasting time. I run a business and I need to get the carpets replaced I cannot keep sending letters etc and wasting time like this.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, What do I need to do to get this problem resolved?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Were you provided with a warranty for the carpet and for the fitting? Also, did you purchase the carpet in store or online?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were given only a verbal warranty (as such) as it is in a commercial business so the standard warranty doesn't exist. The carpet was from a business where we live they have a business premises which is where I paid for it-I have all invoices for the work carried out however the fitter came out to the home with samples etc. The issue with the carpet is the fact that it is the poor fitting that has caused this not the lifespan of the carpet so to speak- He is fully aware that he should have fitted it correctly if he is qualified not stapled parts and generally damage it so that it is not fit for purpose. I Hope this makes sense I am literally at my wits end with him. The independent chap tonight was disgusted with what he has done to us and advised me to go to trading standards but yet again it fast tracks you through to CAB who just waste your time with letters etc that I have already done.