75100385

I've receive a letter from Concetrix on behalf HM Revenue &

Hi there,
I've receive a letter from Concetrix on behalf HM Revenue & Customs about my tax credit claim for last year. It said that I've made a claim as single person but they have information another adult live with me, I live in share house so of course there is another adults live with me. They've asked me to provide my bank statements for last year which I'm not happy about because I was in such a bad debt last year, my tenancy agreement, council tax statement and utility bills. I don't have any of these because everything is included in my rent.What will happen if I won't send them my bank statements? Please can you advice how should I proceed?
Lucy
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lucy my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you fail to declare any chance in circumstance please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then you dont need to worry. However if you dont have them or you dont send them, they can contact your bank and get copies. They do not need your consent.
So even if you refuse to co-operate they can investigate.

But if you havent failed to declare anything, then you have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my issue is,because I was in such bad debt I was borrowing money from my friend who joined my bank account years ago. What if they will say I had another income?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Then you can get your friend to confirm that they lent you the money, especially if it was transferred direct from his/her account to yours.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, why they send me this letter without explanation what's going on in the first place. as I said I live in share house.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Well they only suspect at this stage, they want to hear your version before they investigate any further.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No really, because when I called them They asked me about guy who lived here 5 years ago, but he left country already. I don't know where he is, what he had done...So I don't understand what and how they will investigate.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Even if they find that you have failed to declare then you can appeal that decision. It would then go before a Tribunal who will decide whether HMRC is right or not. But they are independent and nothing to do with HMRC.

If there is no evidence, they wont investigate. They just think there is a suspicion at this stage - nothing more than this.

You tell them he left, then there is nothing they can do. But they can get your bank statements.

Can I clarify anything? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, why then HMRC didn't contact me on the first place? How should I know that this company is not trying to do something with my personal info? When I called them they didn't really want to tell me what is going on.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

HMRC sub contract this out to Concetrix. Then if you dont trust them dont provide any information and HMRC can use their powers under the law to get the information direct from the bank.

Or write and ask for evidence from HMRC that you are being investigated.

That is the other option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Can I clarify anything else for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, sorry I forgot to rate your answers.Can I ask something?