Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

If a venue is booked agreed date and a deposit is paid is

If a venue is booked for an agreed date and a deposit is paid is the receipt a binding contract in the case where the owner of the venue seeks to change the date?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did the venue have any terms and conditions attached with the booking that allowed them to change the ? If not then the date can be a term and condition of the agreement and in which case the owner of the venue would not be able to unilaterally change the date without being in breach of contract. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The venue had no terms and conditions attached to the reservation or receipt. The receipt simply gave the amount of deposit and the date of the booking. Your answer, therefore, indicates he was in breach of contract. We are an African charity and the date change cost us booking and income. It is now in the past but we are concerned for next year as the venue is our only option.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. Yes he would be in breach of contract, in theory you should be able to terminate the contract and claim all damages that are a naturally occurring consequence i,e the additional cost associated with finding a new venue. Will he refund what you have paid? Kind regards AJ