75100385

Madam We are looking to purchase a company that sell CVs

Dear sir/madam
We are looking to purchase a company that sell CVs online to recruitment companies. However, we are a bit dubious as to how they have gathered this data and feel it may not have been obtained legally. The worse scenario is it has been hacked from some big companies like CV-library. If we buy this company can we still be sued or prosecuted for selling the data on.
thank you
John
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello John my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have the current owners given you any form of assurance that this is not the case and not harvested data please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only assurance they have given so far is their word. They have shown us evidence of job adverts that have apparently gathered the CV's. They are advertising it as if they have gathered the data over 2 years. What would be sufficient evidence that I should ask for to keep me in the clear?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - I would get a contract with an indemnity clause in it.

Could you be sued if the data was harvested - yes.

But if you get an indemnity then this in effect says whilst they will cover any claim made against you because of this.

Its like a personal guarantee. If the company is legit then they will have no issue signing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you give me details on how to sort out the indemnity contract?
I will get the indemnity contract in place before buying the company however I do not ever want to be involved in criminal activity. Having gotten the indemnity contract.. if down the line it comes to light that the data was harvested, apart from being sued is there a possibility of a criminal case being brought again me?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You would need a Solicitor to draft it. The contract would be signed before you buy.

Criminal case - possibly, but more likely a civil matter. Thats why you need an indemnity

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. That will be all for now. Regards
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex