chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My girlfriend is applying residency however her application

Customer Question

Hi there, my girlfriend is applying for permanent residency however her application has been turned down on the basis that she does not have comprehensive sickness insurance. She has lived here for nearly fifteen years and feels that this is unfair as she was not aware of the the requirement (and has received health treatment free on the NHS). Please can you advise whether there is any alternative documentation that they would accept? thank you, Julian
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the requirement for comprehensive sickness cover has been in place for quite some time and not being aware is not a sufficient reason.

At this stage, she can obtain comprehensive sickness cover and once she has put the same in place and maintained it for a period, she will be able to re-apply.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for but I do not make up the rules.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
That is what I feared. Is it a common issue for other applicants? It just seems that she is being stopped on a technicality.
Just one other question - during the period she was both a student and registered as self employed - does this change the requirement in any way?
thanks
Julian

I have had a few clients in a similar situation I am afraid to say. It seems unfair.

It does change the requirement, however, as soon as she stopped becoming employed the requirement comes into effect. Therefore, in the absence of it, she will not meet the requirement of the rules.

Kind regards,