chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

In 2014 I was on holiday in the US when I inadvertently ran

Customer Question

In 2014 I was on holiday in the US when I inadvertently ran up over £2000 of data charges on my Vodafone mobile. I telephoned vodaphone immediately to find out what to do, but they simply said I would have to pay. On returning from the US 3 months later I disputed the charges on the grounds that I had a £42 daily cap, Vodafone stated that I had opted out (but were unable to provide any evidence of this). On reaching deadlock I refereed the matter to the telecoms obdudsman who opened a case. This was the last I heard from either the obudsman or Vodafone.
Fast forward to last week when I made an application for a remortgage and was rejected because of my credit score. I was suprised as never had any credit issues . On getting my credit report I found that lowells had registered a unpaid debt on the record. On phoning Lowell they informed me this was debt bought from Vodafone. I explained that the debt was not owing as disputed and had been referred to the obudsman. They say they have no record of this.
I phoned the ombudsman to find out what had happened only to be told that the case had been archived in error and no resolution had been reached. They have now reopened the investigation. The ombudsman say this could take anything up to 4 months to resolve.
My question is do Lowell have the right to register this as bad debt on my record even though it is disputed?
I do not want this to hold up my remortgage any longer if i can help it and certainly don’t want to wait 4 months.
In addition can i hire someone to deal with this for me, as i want the debt of my credit record quickly. If so what would it likely cost ?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the short answer is yes, Lowells do have the right to register this against your credit file because as far as they are concerned, the dispute was not decided in your favour by the Ombudsman.

I would suggest that you ask the Ombudsman to provide a letter stating that the mount is in dispute and is being investigated. You should be able to send this to the credit reference agency and request that they place a note on your file or remove the record.

As it stands, the entry which appears on your credit file seems to be correct, based on the information you have provided above.

I would also suggest that you contact the credit reference agency and raise a dispute with them.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
surly there must be steps i can take to resolve this rather than just wait for the ombudsman, are the alternative routes to resolving the disputed debt other than the ombudsman (i.e can i for the issue to the courts)