Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am looking at the application . It says that you need to

Hello,I am looking at the application for naturalisation. It says that you need to have stayed in the UK for 5 years (and?) have ILR for 1 year. I have an ILR but am leaving the Uk for 1-3 years. Does that mean when I return I will have to stay 5 years again?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Hannah, you should make your application for citizenship now, before you leave the UK for 1-3 years, as you have spent the necessary one year with ILR in the UK. Don't wait. Go ahead and make the application. Secondly, once you have ILR, you have it forever and you don't need to once again spend five years in the UK to qualify for citizenship again. You simply need to spend one additional year in the UK when you return and then you can apply for citizenship again. So, here once you have ILR, you have it forever and then you only need spend one year in the UK to qualify for citizenship, should you leave for a period of years.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.