How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 280
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I am wondering if I can sue a property agency - We moved

Customer Question

Hello, I am wondering if I can sue a property agency - We moved into a flat (and signed the contracts) 2 weeks ago. Recently, I woke up to three people waking around in our flat and when they noticed that someone was in bed they said "someone is in bed" and hurriedly rushed out of the door into the corridor. They continued talking outside so I opened the front door and asked what was going on. The man claimed he was from a real estate agency and said the flat was listed as 'vacant', I explained we were the new tenants and asked how it was possible he had a copy of our keys. I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and panic attacks by my GP and have been pt on medication - due to this unacceptable mishap my anxiety and panic attacks have worsened and increased. Now I have problems sleeping as I am afraid I'll wake up to people waking around in our flat again. I would like to ask for your help and advice on if you think it would be possible to sue the agency - if not what steps can I take and who should be held responsible? Thank you in advance, Tereza Mac
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tereza

Thanks for your question.

Some times a property will be put with multiple agencies. Maybe the landlord or the agent who let the flat to you did not tell the other agent.

I can sympathise with your position considering your recent diagnosis.

However to sue someone you need to have suffered loss or detriment.

I cannot see what you can sue for.

You can explain the situation to the agent/landlord and ask for confirmation that the situation will not happen again. You could request a security lock be installed which you can lock when at home so nobody can enter when you are home with the security lock on.

I hope this helps.

Any queries please message me.

Please can I ask you to accept /positive rate my reply.

Kind regards


Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tereza

I am just following up. Can I help you further.

Going forward do know that your landlord or the agent myst give you at least 24 hours notice if it wants to enter unless it is an emergency.

Dany further questions regarding this?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice