propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I am wondering if I can sue a property agency - We moved

Customer Question

Hello, I am wondering if I can sue a property agency - We moved into a flat (and signed the contracts) 2 weeks ago. Recently, I woke up to three people waking around in our flat and when they noticed that someone was in bed they said "someone is in bed" and hurriedly rushed out of the door into the corridor. They continued talking outside so I opened the front door and asked what was going on. The man claimed he was from a real estate agency and said the flat was listed as 'vacant', I explained we were the new tenants and asked how it was possible he had a copy of our keys. I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and panic attacks by my GP and have been pt on medication - due to this unacceptable mishap my anxiety and panic attacks have worsened and increased. Now I have problems sleeping as I am afraid I'll wake up to people waking around in our flat again. I would like to ask for your help and advice on if you think it would be possible to sue the agency - if not what steps can I take and who should be held responsible? Thank you in advance, Tereza Mac
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tereza

Thanks for your question.

Some times a property will be put with multiple agencies. Maybe the landlord or the agent who let the flat to you did not tell the other agent.

I can sympathise with your position considering your recent diagnosis.

However to sue someone you need to have suffered loss or detriment.

I cannot see what you can sue for.

You can explain the situation to the agent/landlord and ask for confirmation that the situation will not happen again. You could request a security lock be installed which you can lock when at home so nobody can enter when you are home with the security lock on.

I hope this helps.

Any queries please message me.

Please can I ask you to accept /positive rate my reply.

Paul

Hi Tereza

I am just following up. Can I help you further.

Going forward do know that your landlord or the agent myst give you at least 24 hours notice if it wants to enter unless it is an emergency.

Dany further questions regarding this?