How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I've receive a letter from Concetrix on behalf HM

This answer was rated:

Hi there,I've receive a letter from Concetrix on behalf HM Revenue & Customs about my tax credit claim for last year. It said that I've made a claim as single person but they have information another adult live with me, I live in share house so of course there is another adults live with me.They've asked me to provide my bank statements for last year which I'm not happy about because I was in such a bad debt last year, my tenancy agreement, council tax statement and utility bills. I don't have any of these because everything is included in my rent. I just spoke with my bank and they said they can check my account without my permission and if I won't give them information they can freeze my account. I have no one in this country and I don't want end up on the street, I don't mind sending them bank statements but I just don't want to let them know where I spent my money. I asked in bank but they said I can't choose what I want to show or not, I think they didn't get what I was asking for. Lets say I spent £300 in the club or pub, I don't mind to show amount I just don't want to show where if that's make sense. Also because I was i such a bad debt last year I was borrowing money from my friends and again I don't mind to show how much I just don't want to show their account. I think this is sensitive data and no one should be allowed to see this apart from me. Please can you advice how should I proceed?Thanks.Lucy

Hi Lucy

Thanks for your question.

I know HMRC can request bank statement to corroborate in assessing income tax. There was a recent case on this allowing HMRC to do this. Maybe this is being applied to tax credits which are based on income.

I can look into this further and come back to you.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you answer. I don't have a problem to send them my statements, my question is if I have to show them where I spent this money. This is under data protection. I have no problem to show them amount, just don't want to show them accounts numbers money coming from to my account if that's make sense.

Hi Lucy,

I am not advising that you do this but you could redact the statements and provide those if you feel particularly strongly about it. This means that you black out with marker the bits you do not want them to see. However this may arouse suspicion or request for further and more detailed disclosure. HMRC / Concentrix may not accept redacted statements. If you do not have anything to hide in the statements then send them in. Your failure to do so made adversely affect your benefit.

What they want to see is that your bills are addressed to you and cross refer to the statements to establish that you are paying them and not someone else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is I don't have any bills under my name because I have everything included in rent. Also I don't feel confident to send this sensitive data as someone got into my account 3 years ago and I had to report fraud.

Then when sending the statement redact the sort code and account number.

Send with a covering letter, explain the reason for the redaction and that you pay sn all inclusive rent. Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement showing the amount of Rent you pay and confirming that it is all inclusive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. What about my friends account details ? I was borrowing some money of them and you can see I was in minus. They can confirm they lent me money in writing but they don't want their bank details to be shown.

You can also redact the account numbers and say in the letter the reasons why. You can try but do be aware that they may not accept and could request clean copies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, what will happen if I don't send it apart they will stop my payments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't request any call, just press it by mistake. Just want to know answer for last question.

Potentially they can.

They can claim you have not provided documents which they can ask for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will I get fine? Or I have to pay back for whole year?

Not if you have not acted contrary to any conditions of tax credit.


Take a look at the attachment.

propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help.Lucy