chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We pay a small firm of graphic artists to produce logos new

We pay a small firm of graphic artists to produce logos for each new product. We then register the trademark and the logo.
Whose is the copyright in the logo and how do we secure it so that we are in total control of it?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

Do you have an agreement in place?

Is each piece of logo separately paid for?

Does the graphic artist have any share in your business?

Where are the logos used? UK only or other jurisdictions also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no agreement between us. We ask him to produce drafts, we select and he produces finished copy.
Yes, each item is paid for separately as completed. We have been using him since 2001.
He has no share at all.
The IPO jurisdiction is UK, but they sometimes appear on the internet which, of course knows no limit!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I say 'drafts' I mean draft artwork - not a draft agreement!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you respond on this blog or by email? When am I likely to receive a reply please?

Copyright is territorial. Therefore different jurisdictions have different copyright laws.

In the UK, copy right vests in the owner and lasts for 70 years from the date of death.

As you have commissioned the works, copyright ownership will vest in you.

The uk does not have a formal system of registration although you can do so through the IPO office.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we do not need an agreement with the designer, it is covered by a law? Which law please?

It is covered by the copyright design and patents act 1988.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

kind regards