propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I was convicted of section 20 GBH in 1993. I received a nine

Customer Question

I was convicted of section 20 GBH in 1993. For which I received a nine month sentence.
I am presently filling in job applications, and on some of them it's stating that due to the nature of the work, I will need to declare any 'unspent' convictions.
Someone suggested to me that acts of violence are never spent and I will always have to declare it if asked.
My question is, does this ever become spent, can I say I have no unspent convictions, and if so would it show on a basic dbs. I know it will for a standard and enhanced one.
John
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi John

Thanks for your question.

It depends on your age when convicted.

Spent after 2 years if 17 or under when convicted. Otherwise spent after 4 years.

Spent convictions do not show on a basic crb check but they do on standard and enhanced searches.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** confirm, I can put that I have no unspent convictions, I was over 18 regardsJohn

Hi John

If you were convicted in 1993 then the convictions will be spent.

To say you have unspent convictions means they are recent which they are not.