How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9340
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Can l legally disown my 50 yr. old son?

Resolved Question:

Can l legally disown my 50 yr. old son?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If what you are saying is can you do the equivalent of divorce a child the complete opposite of adoption when you get rid of the child, then there is no legal mechanism to do that.

The law looks at it that you brought the child into the world and the child didn’t ask to be born and hence, you are stuck with it.

Prior to aged 18 you can put a child up for adoption and then you would relinquish all legal rights. After aged 18, is no longer possible to do that.

You can leave a child out of your will and if doing so, you would be well advised to odraft a letter of wishes explaining exactly why you have left the child out of the will.

If you can explain what the problem is, I may be able to answer further.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you