F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Can l legally disown my 50 yr. old son?

Can l legally disown my 50 yr. old son?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If what you are saying is can you do the equivalent of divorce a child the complete opposite of adoption when you get rid of the child, then there is no legal mechanism to do that.

The law looks at it that you brought the child into the world and the child didn’t ask to be born and hence, you are stuck with it.

Prior to aged 18 you can put a child up for adoption and then you would relinquish all legal rights. After aged 18, is no longer possible to do that.

You can leave a child out of your will and if doing so, you would be well advised to odraft a letter of wishes explaining exactly why you have left the child out of the will.

If you can explain what the problem is, I may be able to answer further.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.