How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8972
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I split up with my ex 5 years ago. We brought a house as

Resolved Question:

I split up with my ex 5 years ago. We brought a house as joint tenants. She has been paying the mortage for the last 3 years. And I now want to get off the mortage. She earns £13000 per year and is unable to buy me out. Can I force a sale? We have children together and they live with her in the house. I suggested buying her out and letting her stay in the house paying the mortage value as rent but she has declined. Any help?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Were you married?

What is the value of the house?

Outstanding mortgage?

Have you asked the existing mortgage company if they will agree to remove you?

How old are the children?

How much would a house for her and the children cost in the same area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never married.
Brought the house for 174k
Now worth circa 220k
Outstanding mortage is 147k
Not asked the mortage company as ex is not giving me out mortage paper work.
Our children are 4 and 8
Houses in the area are around 200k
However she has a boyfriend that now lives with her.I earn 45k per year and could afford to buy her out
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

The equity in the house is approximately £73,000 at best based upon your figures. That is not enough money to buy a house for the dependent children to whom you both have a duty to provide a home until they both reached the age of majority, and are no longer dependent, at aged 18. It’s unlikely therefore that you could force a sale if your ex did not want to sell, for the next 14 years. She is responsible for all the outgoings of the house and the mortgage meanwhile.

I know it’s not the answer you wanted and if there were no children involved the situation would be completely different and you would be able to force the sale.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8972
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advise. As I can't be removed from the mortage does that mean I won't be able to buy and house for the next 14 years? My concern was that she only pay's £650 per month for the mortage split with her boyfriend and I have to rent a bed sit for £800 per month. It doesn't seem fair that I'm going to be stuck on a mortage for 14 years when with them having two incomes they will have a higher quality of life.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice