Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

When the owner of a mobile phone looses their phone and

When the owner of a mobile phone looses their phone and reports it lost to the network the phone is blocked so it can no longer be used in the UK. If the owner later finds the phone mobile phone networks will not unblock the phone again. My question is, is it legal or illegal to offer an independent service where by the mobile phone can be remotely unblocked?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

No , it would not be illegal, where I live there is a shop that specialises in just this service.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. Just to confirm i am not refering to network unlocking of a phone so you can use it on any network. I am referring to blacklisted or barred phones which have been reported lost.Regards
Paul

Dear *****

I cannot see how that would be illegal in itself. Any offence would relate to how any information obtained from such a phone was used not the act of unlocking it itself.

Michael