75100385

I was forced to leave Dubai in the financial crisis as I was

I was forced to leave Dubai in the financial crisis as I was made redundant and when you are made redundant in dubai they freeze your assets. I owed around250,000 dhms when I left. They have been chasing me ever since. I am working in Ireland the past 5 years now and an indian company sent mails to my place of work to the most senior person telling them I owed money. Then when they got no reaponse they went away. Now I have received a letter from a dublin company on behalf of emirates bank asking me to pay the outstanding money or my name will go into the gazette and assets may be seized. Can you please let me know where I stand as an Irish citizen.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do any of the loans etc say they can be enforced outside the UAE?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid 25 Euros to have some advice from you. I cannot afford to have a phone call with you sorry. Can you please give me some advice on this. I don't know if the loans say that. I took the loan with Emirates Bank and I don't know what terms & conditions said about being enforced outside UAE.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Sure we can keep online. Can you check the documents or is that not possible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I took the loan out years ago. I actually left Dubai in 2009 and I had already paid off 1 year before I left. As soon as I left they cached the securitycheques. They can arrest you in Dubai for a bounced cheque. I was one of many who left to avoid being imprisoned for a bounced cheque.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok - sure. Ideally you would need to check the terms and see what it says about jurisdiction. If it says that the agreement is governed by the law of UAE then its not binding in the here.

Only if the terms say they can sue you here can they do so.

Otherwise its not enforceable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how should I respond to the IRish company that have contacted me looking for payment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the UAE Banks behalf
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I dont quite understand?
Can you see my response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but should I get a solicitor to write to the Irish company who wrote to me asking me to pay the money to the Emirates Bank or should I just ignore the letter sent to me?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Its up to you. A Solicitor will have a cost. Or you can ignore it. If they try and take you to Court over it then you can dispute and ask for the contract.

Or you can ask now - its really up to you

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally does Ireland or UK have bi-lateral agreements with the UAE
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

No they do not......

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/