13262538

My daughters father is not sticking to the diet required to

Customer Question

My daughters father is not sticking to the diet required to control and hopefully eliminate her food allergies. He stated during a paediatrician appointment that he would but he isn't. This is prolonging my daughters suffering. He is also now saying he's taking her to his doctor and is refusing to allow me to attend. What can i do?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is your daughter and what time does she spend with her father?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 8. this has been going on for 6 years. She sees her father every other weekend from friday 5pm until sunday 5pm. she also stays with him half of each school holiday. this totals about 80 nights a year
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What diet is she meant to follow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wheat, dairy, yeast and sugar free. it needs to be for 6-8 months and then we can try to slowly reintegrate. she presents with non-IGE mediated allergies.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I assume that he does not beleive that she has a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that depends on his mood. some days he does. when he gave her a pizza with dairy and yeast and she had an awful reaction that caused her face to swell to twice the size, her skin to blister and scab orange and her stomach to become severely distended he owned it. other days he says its all in my head
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Are you willing to reduce the contact to protect against this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent him a letter last week stating that if he made her ill again and didn't return her with her food diary that access would change. He could pick her up after breakfast on Saturday, I would provide food for the day, then she would need to be home for her evening meal. This could then be repeated on the Sunday. It would mean holiday contact would be minimised for the time required to try and reintegrate. Milla loves her father and I'm trying to keep their contact but long term health is important. If contact needs to be reduced so be it. I have done everything possible to work with him
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I have to ask - has there ever been any doctors who have queried the diagnosis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then your approach is entirely justifiable and an appropriate response to the problem.

You should offer to discuss matters with him using Family mediation

www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk

and attend your Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting.

If he refuses you can then apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order regarding the time she spends with him and a Prohibited Steps Order regarding the food issue.

Do not over worry about the Doctor - if he wishes to make a fool of himself let him

Please ask if you need further details