75100385

A few years ago I wrote a chapter in a book. Selection,

Customer Question

A few years ago I wrote a chapter in a book. Selection, editorial matter and preface copyright was with the editor. Copyright for individual chapters remained with the contributor.
I heard on Monday that the book is being up-dated and that someone had up-dated my chapter. I would be given secondary billing and could submit and up-dated biog.
I've asked for time to think about how material has been used and how I wanted to be presented. A quick look shows that the first half of the chapter has been used verbatim and the case studies replaced with developments from the last 10 years (which makes sense). I asked for time to think as the deadline for the draft to be sent is today and I felt pressurised as I first heard about this on Monday. The editor has now said that the chapter will be completely re-written and my work quoted if used. Can they do this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have a contract with them, if so what does it say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean with the publisher for the original chapter?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
copyright for the chapter is with the author. Selection is with the person who edited most of the chapters. This is the person who contacted me on Monday and has just said that the chapter will be completely re-written. I don't have a contract with this person - just the publisher
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

OK - so they will be copying your work, in effect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was what happened originally. The first I knew of it was on Monday. I asked to see the re-worked chapter. When I asked for time to think about how the work has been used and is now presented the person who is leading on the book, responsible for selecting the content last time (and this) of the overall book has said that the chapter will now be completely re-written and any of my work that is included will be quoted. So I don't think that they will be copying my work now. Just ignoring the first chapter completely.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

So they wont be using your work, just writing their own version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is my understanding
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Ok, its bad news then I am afraid. Unless there is any contract to the contrary they are entitled to remove that Chapter from the book.

They can even re-write it as long as it is not confusingly similar to your existing one. But can they remove it - yes they can.

I am sorry if this is no the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's fine. I just wanted to know what the position was. It will be interesting to see how the chapter ends up. It has all been a bit confused and unclear!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/