75100385

I have a pending dispute with holidays To try and keep it

Hi - I have a pending dispute with Virgin holidays
To try and keep it brief.
I tried to book a holiday online with them to Jamaica the original cost with upper class flights was approx 4K ( as I had an injured leg and need the extra space and facilities)
The first time their site took the payment off my card but no holiday confirmation was allocated. I tried to book a second time and again their booking system took payment but again no holiday booking was confirmed and this resulted in my card being blocked ( up to my credit limit)
By the time I had phoned them to try and sort it out as I had no option to book an alternative ( no credit left ) the holiday had gone up and up in price to about 5.5k.
They said they would refund one payment and keep the other payment for the holiday.
I wasn't happy about the extra expense but felt I had no choice.
After thinking all was sorted I got a phone call from them another day later saying that if I wanted the upper class flights I would have to pay an additional 400 pounds again - again I had booked valet parking at the airport and because of my leg situation I felt they had me over a barrel so to speak as I could not manage a 10hr without the extra space so I was forced to pay it on my debit card.
When the tickets and confirmation arrived we only had premium economy flying out from gatwick ( where I had arranged for the car parking) but worse flying back we had to fly economy with delta from Jamaica to jfk New York and then virgin upper class back to uk but Heathrow airport - due to this I then had to pay a big premium to the valet parking company to have the car transferred to Heathrow ( an additional 250 pounds).
To make things worse the holiday resort was not up to the standard I was expecting some of the facilities I was expecting weren't available due to the resort staff be at work and the weather was rubbish ( obviously out of anyone's control) but it didn't help !!
So where we have the issue is now due to virgins's incompetence again they actually refunded both holiday payments to my credit card and all I have actually paid for is the flight upgrades of 400 pounds ( but this should have been included in the very original booking that I made)
They have now 3 months later realised their mistake and they are chasing me for payment
I understand that although I must pay something I really do not want to be paying the full amount as this would be paying for what ended up being an over priced and under delivered service from what our original booking should have been.
I would appreciate your advise on how to proceed and how they may proceed against me should I continue to dispute this.
Mark
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Hello Mark my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much do you want to claim back please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At the moment all I have paid is 400 pounds for the flight upgrade which should have been included in the original booking
I assume they will chase me for the full holiday cost of 5.5k
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Ok - so you havent paid this yes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No - only the 400 pounds
If you read my original question - it contains alot of detail about the situation
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Yes I read you paid for the flight upgrades but it wasnt clear whether you had paid for everything else.
Have you raised the dispute with Virgin? If so, what do they say?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not yet - I want to know if I have grounds to challenge this
I ended up having to pay nearly 6k when the original holiday should have been 4k
Plus all the hassle and disappointment - none of which was my fault
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry - meant I will end up having to pay 6k when original holiday would have been 4k
If they insist on me paying full amount
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Yes I think you have. They represented and in fact the holiday was booked for £4k. Due to no fault of your own then its costing an additional £2000 which is not a small amount of money.

So yes I do think you have a claim and you could even go to Court to make them give you the holiday for £4k rather than £6k.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks I will now take this up with virgin and see where it leads
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can we keep this open for a few days until I have been in contact with virgin to see what their response is
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Sure. Even when you rate it doesnt close the question. Thanks and have a good weekend. Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/