How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34026
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and s ex-partner live separate and have joint P/R and

Customer Question

Hello, my son and his ex-partner live separate and have joint P/R and a shared residence Order. Mum lives in Morton on the Wirral Dad lives in Liverpool. my grandson has voted with his feet and made a decision that he no longer wants to live with his mother at the Easter half term. Mum has not opposed this action or has not made any contact via telephone on direct visiting . Is this legal for my grandson age 14 years old make the decision to move from his mothers care and into his fathers care without going back to court. Also My grandson wants change school from west Kirby due to the daily task of 2 hours travelling to and from school daily into a local school 10 minutes away from to is fathers address in Liverpool. I feel that he is Gillick Competent although the children Act 1989/2004 says hes not until the age 16 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for question

My name Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Has the father spoken to the mother about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the father and grandfather have both tried to contact her on the phone she will not answer. in past experience they have made a visits and she becomes agitated and hostile. He has just written her a letter(not yet posted) advising her of the child wishes to change school and not to contact the child while she is under the influence of alcohol
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The mother can apply to the court to prevent the move - and then if necessary the court will decide what is best for your grandson.

Given that he is 14 his wishes will be seen as being of great importance - and there is little doubt that the Court will agree to the move - IF of course

the mother even bothers

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions