29905560

I handed in my notice at work. My father passed away a few

Good afternoon, I handed in my notice at work. My father passed away a few days later and the week following the funeral I took 4 sick days which I got a cert from my Dr for. Work are refusing to pay me sick pay as it was during my resignation period, and there saying its in the sickness policy that they won't pay. Can you please give me some advice regarding this matter.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello does the policy actually say this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you an email address I can send you my contract and sickness policy ?

Hi sorry for some reason the system did not show me that you had replied. You are able to upload the documents on here, just by using the paperclip icon. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It it private and confidential to do that, as there are work logos on the paper park?

It is not but here is what you can do instead - you can use a free file hosting service like www.mediafire.com - you upload the documents on here and share the link on here - I can then download them and as soon as I have done so I will let you know and you can then remove them from the hosting site and no one can access them

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will not allow me to do that on the site you recommended. It would be easier to email it to you!

ok you can do so but it is a rather slow service as it has to go through customer services who then forward it to me. You can send them to***@******.*** and include the link to this question and that you wish to send the to Expert ben.jones - they should then come to me but it may take a couple of days. Thanks

The documents actually came much quicker than usual so I have managed to look over them. Under Section 4.6.6 of the policy it specifically states that occupational sick pay is not payable during the employee’s resignation period. You would only be entitled to SSP for any absences during your resignation period. As you went off sick whilst you were serving your notice of resignation, OSP would not apply to you and you can only rely on SSP. As far as SSP entitlement is concerned, that is only payable after the initial 3 days of absence, so you get no SSP for the first 3 days and you only get it from the 4th day onwards. It is around £17.69 per day so in the circumstances that would be the only payment you would be due for this 4 day period of absence.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome, please take a second to quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process to close this query. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'