propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I have a very tall sycamore tree which is located just

I have a very tall sycamore tree which is located just outside my boundary but the branches over hang my garage roof and have caused much damage due to the build up of fallen leaves and water logged debrie. I do not know who is the owner and I am trying to locate this person but failing that or their cooperation how am I placed with removing any branches over hanging my property?
Regards, ***** ***** ( Charlton Kings)
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Maurice

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you.

You are legally entitled to cut back the branches which overhang your property but only up to the boundary, not beyond your boundary.

However, before you do this check with the council to make sure that tree is not covered by a tree preservation order. If you give the council the address it can check the charges register to see if a TPO exists.

If not you can cut back the overhanging branches. Technically any branches you remove need to be returned to the owner of the land on which the tree is situate.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries in relation to my reply. Happy to assist you further.

Please remember to accept / positive rate my reply. Otherwise I will not receive any credit from assisting you today.

Paul