12826847

I sent an engraved p flask to a customer, day to be signed

Customer Question

I sent an engraved hip flask to a customer,for next day to be signed for. He emailed me to ask the next day when he could expect the flask. I informed him that it was sent the previous day and he could expect it that day. After about ten days he rang me to say it hadn't arrived and that he was giving the flask to a friend who was leaving the next day,i inquired at the post office and it had not been delivered or signed for.
I said I wished he had let me know earlier and I could of made inquiries at the post office.
I have received a claims form from the post office and I am now filling it in, in the meantime the customer has gone out and bought a different flask and had it (he said) engraved in time for his friend. Am I legally bound to give him a refund or can I wait to see if the post office admits liability and gives me compensation, which I can pass on to him.
I am not sure what the legality is, can you help?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Did you guarantee delivery within a certain period of time?