12826847

I recently lost my wife,due to cancer,in January 2016. Due

Customer Question

I recently lost my wife,due to cancer,in January 2016. Due to my age,86, it has been necessary for me to downsize my accomodation to a one bedroomed flat which also makes me have closer access to my family. My house I vacated in Feb 16 is currently up for sale. About 2002 my wife and I put our house in Trust through a local solicitor o cement our joint will wishes that this property,together with all our assets, would eventually be equally shared by my two sons. All documentation is held by my solicitor. Since my move, and at present the house is unoccupied. The local council allowed me 3 months Council Tax relief.but as from May 26th 2016 this relief ended and I am now paying a total of £1,293.58 by monthly instalments until 20/01/17. As my total present OAP pension and income comes to £950.00 a month, this is a worry for me,as I still pay expences for my flat. Any answers or guidence would be most welcome. Thankyou ! My tel no is 01263-502412 e-mail mnkirk@hotmail,com ******
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is your question how to avoid paying council tax on this empty property?

You say you transferred the property into trust for your sons? Why did you do that? Why are they not paying the council tax?