Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Will a UK divorce be accepted in Idaho, USA, if my spouse

Will a UK divorce be accepted in Idaho, USA, if my spouse resides in Costa Rica?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Have you divorced in England or Wales?

-Are you resident in Idaho?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a previous marriage and was divorced in 1990. I married in Idaho in 1999 but my spouse lives in Costa Rica. I have an address in Spain and in London but not in Idaho which I left in 2000.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Are you seeking a divorce from your current wife?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want a divorce from my current wife. She is a US citizen and as I say we were married in Idaho 1999, lived together in Costa Rica 2000-2009 when we separated and I returned to England. She remained in Costa Rica.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. For divorce purposes it does not matter where you married. What matters id where you current reside. If you have resided in England continuously for at least 6 months you can pursue a divorce here and the easiest option is under the fact of 5 year separation. She does not need to agree or consent to it and all you need is to prove to the court that she is aware of the divorce proceedings.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a bit of time to think. I'll be in touch in due course.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.