Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My wife and I lived in England and were married in 1965. In

My wife and I lived in England and were married in 1965. In 1967 we emigrated to Quebec, Canada. In 2004 we were legally separated by the Quebec Superior Court.
My spouse still lives in Canada but I moved back to England in 2007.
Assuming total agreement by my spouse, am I able to carry out divorce proceedings in England?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If you were not divorced in Canada then you can pursue a divorce in England. As you have been separated since at leadt 2004 you can apply under the fact of 5 years separation and you do not need her consent or agreement - all you will need is to prove to the coirt that she is aware of the petition.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you