chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We own a 3 storey office building. (approx 10 000 sq ft in

We own a 3 storey office building. (approx 10 000 sq ft in total)
top two floors empty with office use.
ground floor we use for an education tutorial service
with permitted development right i know we can change the use from office to flats ?
However, what if we wanted to simply provide beds as a hostel, to the adult english groups we teach? can we offer that immediately?
If so, what organisations need to be advised? does the council need to approve this? does anyone else need to approve this?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.

You will still need to obtain permission to do this and would need to speak to your local council.

The main concern would be fire safety regulations.

You say that you can change from offices to facts under permitt3d development, but this is not quite correct as you would still need to submit an application and obtain permission.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that answer.
Can I ask if this is the same for hostels ? we simply wanted to place beds for trav
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Contd ... For travellers and students rather than turn it into flats ? If it is the same process can you tell me the name of the firm we need to complete and normally is the process just as difficult as it is for flats ?

The same would apply. You would be best served speaking to your local council planning department and confirming whether the change of use would be permitted.

kind regards