propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I own a property with a 850 year leasehold and need to

Customer Question

I own a property with a 850 year leasehold and need to contact the Landlord about a restrictive covenant.
I have asked the company to whom i pay my ground rent if they are the Landlord or a representative of the landlord.
Their Answer Was " We are the Registered Lessee and you are the Registered Under-Lessee.
My Knowledge is limited but i assume the Lessor is the Landlord, please can you explain
what they mean?
Kind Regards Richard
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your question.

Without having all the details and documents this is my assumption on the facts provided. You are quite right that lessor is landlord. Lessee is a tenant. The company to whom you pay the ground rent is a tenant of the freeholder under a head lease. You therefore have a sub lease and are a sub tenant.

You can check this at the land registry. It costs a few pounds to get a copy of the title. If you sign up to the land registry you can do a map search. You pop in your address and you will see an OS map of the locality. Click to see title numbers, click on your property then you will see the registered titles. You can then find your landlord's title and the freeholder' title. You can download the title as a pdf, you can also download a copy of the leases, if you wish. The title will show the owner's name and address.

Also check your lease to see if there is a clause in it whereby you can request the landlord enforce a covenant on another tenant. A well drafted lease should include such a clause. You can then make a formal request for the landlord to enforce the covenant (you might have to pay the landlord's costs/expenses).

I hope my explanation and response is helpful. Do please let me know if you have any queries in respect of my response. I am happy to assist further.

Please can I ask you to take a moment to accept / positive rate my response.

Paul

propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience: Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Paul,
Many Many thanks for your Answer which is 100% what i wanted to hear.
Without trying to waste your time on this, today i had a strange unannounced visit from a gentleman claiming to represent the company whom i pay my ground rent too. (i did recently send an e-mail complaint about the covenant breach to them). I directly asked him if his company where the landlords, his answer was my company are the landowners??
He had a Plastic school Protractor and a copy of the Title Plan showing my boundary.and he had done some measurements and stated that in his opinion the boundary line was in a certain place, i was a little shocked because as far as i was concerned the Red boundary line is a general boundary and not an exact boundary and cannot be measured or scaled of a Title Plan.
I know you do not have all the relevant documents but the whole argument in this long story is that the Title Plan of the Cul De Sac i.e the position of the road and Main pathway around the estate does not match the title plan (not by inches but by maybe 2 metres) hence my neighbour has decided to try to cut off my drive. My argument is that both me and the neighbour both signed the lease regardless of the the irregularity and that what it was at the time should be how it is.
I explained to this person and showed evidence that it is obviously wrong and he stated that the builders where probably cowboys?.
My question is surely whoever had the estate built, builder or Landlord there must be some responsibility at the time (1993) to make sure the Title plan matches reasonably to the actual on the ground fact to prevent future disputes.
His Answer when i questioned him further was that the road and pathway had now been adopted by the local council and it was not their responsibility. I think this guy was some kind of mediator who was probably expecting to talk to somebody with no clue. Paul sorry for the long winded way of this but i really do not know who to trust?
I Hope you can just give me a basic view on this.
Kind Regards
Richard Shepherd

Hi Richard

I will look into this during the morning and respond.