How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9181
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My wife is stage 7 alzheimers, in hospital, broken p, no

Customer Question

my wife is stage 7 alzheimers, in hospital, broken hip, no mental capacity.
l do not have power of attorney.
Her signature needed on a house sale, she is one of four joint owners with me, her husband, daughter and son in law. All four of us are a limited company, but the house is in our 4 names.
Can l apply for an interim court order, to enable me to sign for her?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Yours sincerely *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say that all “all four of us are a limited company but the house is in our four names”. Is a house in the name of the limited company of which all 4 of you are shareholders or is it just 4 names?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The house is in our 4 names, rather than in the company name.

Thank you.

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There are two ways of dealing with this. You could apply to court to become a deputy over your wife’s affairs but that process is not particularly quick. It might be an idea to do that anyway when any other issues crop up in the future, at least you have the paperwork in place. Unfortunately, the process takes several months, the paperwork is quite complicated and although you can do it yourself, the paperwork is full of traps for the unwary and hence, a solicitor will charge about £2000.

If you want to try it yourself, here is the process.

Alternatively, if the matter is more pressing you can apply to court to have the matter decided by a judge and to have the court execute the paperwork on behalf of your wife. There is a specific process to be followed in the application is made to the Court of Protection. The process is here along with the forms.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions