29905560

I wonder if you can help me. I accidentally left my wrist

Customer Question

I wonder if you can help me. I accidentally left my wrist watch at security in Budapest airport. This was on Saturday and I have made a lot of phone calls and sent at least 8 emails and 3
days later I have not had a reply.
What can I do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know if anyone has found it and has it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the answer I am not getting from the security at Budapest. They only have an email address an I have emailed several times. It has to be found as it was only their security staff who picks the tray there and someone must have found it. Also they have cc tv as well. However, their customer services and process is terrible.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Whilst you may assume that it is their staff who found the phone, it is possible that another traveller may have found it. There is no definitive guarantee that it was the staff who found it. So you will only be able to take this further if it was the staff rather than another traveller.

The next thing is how you go about this. Sadly it is not illegal to have poor customer service and to fail to answer emails or calls in relation to this. If they have the phone in their possession then they are likely to hold it for a limited period of time but it does not mean that they are legally obliged to contact you in relation to it, if you have tried to enquire about it. This is poor customer service but it is not unlawful. So if you are having issues with getting in touch with them by email/phone, you will have to consider other ways, for example getting someone local to go in person on your behalf or doing this yourself by travelling there. I understand this may not be ideal or cost effective but eventually it may become the only option.

Finally you have to consider what you may be able to do if you find that the staff took the phone and did not return it, or they had it initially but got rid of it and did not answer your queries. Under English law this is likely to amount to negligence and you could sue them for your losses. But this is not the UK, it is Hungary – different laws may apply there and for that you would need to seek local legal advice. You also have to consider that to sue them you are likely to have to do this over there rather than in the UK and that may increase the costs.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the phone it a ladies wrist watch, some one did go in person on behalf the same day 3 hours after left it there and was told the person has to email. I have written to them and called them several times. It is of sentimental value to me.
I need to hire a solicitor in Budapest can you recommend one?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, I mentioned phone as I was dealing with another question in relation to a mobile phone so obviously got confused between the two. But the legal side and the rest of the advice remains unchanged. In terms of a solicitor in Hungary, sadly I have no connections there in what you are looking for but I did deal with a company some time ago in other areas of law:

http://www.gfmt.hu/index.php?lang=eng

They may not be able to act for you in this situation but if you contact them they do speak English and they may be able to direct you to a local firm they know of

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.