F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

We are an office building we have a sewer in the rear of our

Hi we are an office building we have a sewer in the rear of our offices under the flooring its owned and maintained by thames water, they have to come out at least three times a week in the last two months to unblock it, it was built around 300 years ago and since then flats and other offices have been built, i think its undersized and too old and no longer fit for purpose and we are having to suffer awful smells most days in our working environment, what can we do to get this moved or sorted.Ive had to send my staff home most days due to the fact I cant expect them to put up with these smells
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Have you referred it to Environmental Health? Complained to Thames Water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they keep coming and jut clearing it now they have said they will be serving a s159 ntoice for major works that means we will need to shut our offices an we claim compensation
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

You should make a formal complaint in writing to Thames Water. You also need to speak to the Environmental Health Department at the local authority because clearly, this is a health hazard.

If you have to close your office, you are entitled to claim compensation which would be the cost of relocation if you have no alternative but to relocate. With regard to loss of profit, you are entitled to compensation but I have experience of putting the claims together and it really needs a forensic accountant to put the evidence together otherwise the claim will fail.

Here is an article on just this subject from a different area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19109245

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.
Best wishes.
FES.