How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Harris Your Own Question

Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2295
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am a woman and own a house - value £150,000. I lived in

Customer Question

I am a woman and own a house - value £150,000. I lived in the house for one year before moving into my boyfriends house - value £600,000, which has been my home for the past nine years. The house I own has been let over this period and is still let.
My parents intend to put me and my brother on the deeds of a holiday home which they own to reduce the inheritance tax liability (assuming they live 7 years). There will be no consideration with this deed change and my share will be worth approx £50,000.
My boyfriend and myself intend to marry shortly and it is his intention that the property (which is dual use -domestic and commercial (farming) will be in our joint names.
We are very concerned that the two changes (above) holiday home and marriage / joint ownership, will result in taxes of one form or the other due to my already owning a home, even though this is let and not my current residence.
Please advise if our worries are valid.
Many thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. I do not see how there will be any tax liabilities for either properties:

1. The holiday home - you and your brother will be added to the title of the property and there is no payment for this transfer of a share of the title - therefore it will be considered a gift. In the event that the property is eventually sold, then there may be Capital Gains Tax liability depending on the use of the property.

2. Once you marry you will obtain matrimonial home rights and you will have a right to occupy the property until divorce. Furthermore, any transfers between husband and wife are not subject to taxation therefore if you were to be added to the title of the matrimonial home you will have no tax liability.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions