F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a personal debt which is secured against my property,

Customer Question

I have a personal debt which is secured against my property, can a high court enforcement office take any of my pocessions
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have received a Notice of enforcement regarding a debt which was from a personal guarantee from a failed business. The debt has been registered as a charge against my property and is therefore secured.It is my understanding that a secured debt cannot be attempted to be satisfied even in part by the seizure of goods…. is this correct?If it is correct what action should be taken to stop any attempt by enforcement offices. I also have a history of mental illness following the demise of that business
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Under normal circumstances, once there is a charging order or a charge against the house, the lender loses the right to enforce by any other means except applying to court for an order for sale which may or may not succeed depending on the amount of the debt, the value of the house, and the mortgage outstanding..

Have the bailiffs called house?

Is the creditor threatening that action?

If we could have the background detail, that would be helpful.

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have received a Notice of enforcement regarding a debt which was from a personal guarantee from a failed business. The debt has been registered as a charge against my property and is therefore secured.It is my understanding that a secured debt cannot be attempted to be satisfied even in part by the seizure of goods…. is this correct?If it is correct what action should be taken to stop any attempt by enforcement offices. I also have a history of mental illness following the demise of that business.No enforcement officer has called as yet the notice requires response by the 26th. I have sent a recorded delivery letter advising that the debt is secured and that they have no right to call and advising them of my mental health history and advising them if they do call I will report them to the HCEOA (their governing body).I believe this has been instigated by the creditor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How long before my call ?

I had a client and hence I couldn’t get back to you immediately. If you want to make another request for a telephone call, I can call now if you still wish to speak.

They cannot take goods without a court order and they cannot get that court order if the debt is secured.

I’m assuming that this debt is not a personal guarantee in respect of rates or council tax or any other money owed to the local authority or the government and it is not in respect of any fine..

What you have done is exactly the right course of action.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any other action I can take to ensure no visit is attempted ?As there was no call will I still be billed for the request ?Many thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In hindsight please call as I am not clear if this notice of enforcement is the court order as they quote a high court Reference number in their enforcement notice. I have not received any notice other than this from the High Court. I attach scan of notice.I have to leave shortly and not back until Monday but available on my mobile ***********

You need to resubmit the request and it will connect us.

What we have been discussing have been County Court claims, not High Court claims. It is still possible for the High Court Enforcement Officer to apply for a warrant of control even if there is a charging order as you will read here.

http://thesheriffsoffice.com/articles/charging_orders_and_writs_of_fi-fa

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did u get the second phone request
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Trying to add request again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Call request option dissapeard
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My screen says to expected a call so very confused

We have since spoken at length. Best wishes. FES

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Morning I had to go to Scotland for work only back this am, will you be on line all morning as I could just do with some help in completing a Form. I have booked a hearing for tomorrow at 10.00am just getting prepared now so will be about an hour or somany Thanks
Russ

I am available this afternoon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What time would be best, ***** ***** just had a visit from the enforcement office

Do you want me to call now? I have 10 minutes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great yes

We spoke