Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was involved with a dog running into my car door and

I was involved with a dog running into my car door and leaving a substantial dint that will cost £500 to rectify. My insurance company have declined to take the owner of the dog to court. My question Is it possible that I could take the owner to the small courts.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If the damage cost £500 to repair then the dog owner is responsible for this. You would be entitled to commence a small claim against the dog owner. Do you have their name and address? Do they have any money? Have you been paid out by the insurers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the owners name and address He must have some funds as he has just opened a new garden centre. I am not claiming from my insurance company as after paying the excess and the inevitable increase in my insurance on my renewal next year I feel it wasn't worth it.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. If you know where this individual lives, then I would start by contacting and informing him of the damage caused. Send him a copy of the repair bill and offer him 7 days to pay. If he does not offer to pay you can commence a money claim here

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have already spoken with the dog owner. Gave him the repair bill and he declined to pay.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. If that is the case then I would give him a 7 day warning before commencing action. If he still refuses to pay then you can use the Money Claim procedure. Do you have an invoice for the repairs? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes I have an invoice for the repairs. Will present it to him again. Kind regards Olive
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you. You do not need to send it to him again, but you will need the invoice as evidence to show the court that you have suffered a loss as a result of failing to control his dog. Kind regards AJ